Sunday, June 6, 2010

Comic Book Review: JSA All-Stars #7

Written by Matthew Sturges
Art & Cover by Freddie Williams II
Lettered by Pat Brosseau
Colored by Richard & Tanya Horie
Associate Editor: Rachel Gluckstern
Editor: Mike Carlin

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
Apart from the fact that a superhero team name like “All-Stars” is ridiculously boring and silly, JSA All-Stars hasn’t been my most anticipated title since it began.  The redundant nature of this book has been less than appealing both in the writing and the art.  Sturges has been feeding us story lines month after month that have focused more on the team development and not so much the individual characters, which isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, but it hasn’t served this title well enough to give it the edge it needs.  With #7, Sturges gives us a chance to really dig deep into the hearts of two very underestimated characters and gives us, as readers, a new perspective on the future of the All-Stars.

Judomaster and Damage have both been a unique addition to the team, but have not been utilized to the full potential advantage they obviously have.  Both have felt more like “fillers” that help save the weakened heroes who hold the spotlight most after month.  Sturges presents an interesting take on the two heroes as Judomaster apparently had a thing for Damage, which gives her every right to present the eulogy at his funeral.  I never actually knew they had a relationship to begin with, but I think I like it despite how random it felt.  This also gives King Chimera a brief but good interjection, showing that deep down inside, he does have a soft spot for sentimentality.

Speaking of Superhero funerals, I wonder if there will ever be one where each hero dresses in “NOT” superhero outfits.  I’m just saying, it seems out of place and weird.

FW the second’s artwork seemed much more bearable this go-round even though I still hate it.  His “prunish” approach seems to have diminished slightly despite what the horrendously terrifying cover might have you believe.  There is still enough ugliness to his work that causes my artistic gag reflex to engage at full force, but I found myself able to look at each page without hurrying through it.

My Profoundly Climactic Conclusion
Fun issue; there are many flaws, but it’s still fun.

Writing: 7
Themes: 9
Art: 3
Overall Rating: 6.33 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Seems like we're pretty much in agreement here. I hope you're right that we're going to be seeing the team be less self-absorbed from now on.

    ReplyDelete