Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Comic Book Review: Justice League #45

Book Information
Written by James Robinson
Penciled by Mark Bagley
Colored by Ulises Arreola
Inked by Rob Hunter, Norm Rapmund
Lettered by Rob Leigh
Cover by Bagley & Hunter

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
From what I can tell, Robinson has deviated from his established league and gone back to the uncertainty with who should and shouldn’t be members of the JLA.  I’m certain he’s having issues with the story he wants to create vs. what the DC head-honchos want to have incorporated.  What ever the case may be, the League, two months ago, had finally reached a level of confidence that gave me hope Robinson had finally found his stride.  But now the League, once again, seems to be in a state of limbo, unsure of itself and what its purpose is.  This has gone on far too long and either Robinson or DC needs to put a lot more focus into the future of the JLA.

Some light is shed on the mystery of Jade and Alan Scott.  The ancient, mystical energy permeating from the star heart has become the central focus behind Jade’s resurrection, and Alan Scott dissension.  The back story was nice as I was really unclear of Scott’s relationship to the Green Lantern power since he never held allegiance to the Corps but maintained that his powers come from the same source. 

The editors and writers for DC really are attempting to push all the stories towards the “Kingdom Come” plane of reality.  The last panel of Alan Scott and his new “threads” definitely resemble the Alex Ross world of Earth-22.  I appreciate the fact that DC is trying to keep continuity rolling, but at the same time I’m in a constant state of wonder.  Which Universe are we in?  Earth Prime, or Earth-22?  Maybe I’m over thinking it, but it’s cool none-the-less!

Mark Bagley really outdid himself with this issue.  The green color theme was brilliantly done, which credit should go to Ulises Arreola more than Bagley, but Bagley’s creative artistry should not be overshadowed.  The energy aura that was steaming off of her body really stuck out at me; it was a nice touch that made Jade significantly different from the rest of her peers.  I enjoyed the full expressions on everyone’s face and the good use of the piercing light and shadows.

You also have to admit, the picture to the right is pretty darn cool!-------->

I did find myself wondering if this was a Justice League book or a Justice Society book, but it didn’t distract me enough to detract from the story itself.  However, I couldn’t help but think back to when Supergirl and Power Girl went tooth and nail a few years back.  I’m sure Robinson wanted this sequel to the epic brawl and has good reason for it, but did anyone else think the exact same thing I was when the two super heroines duked it out?  Again, it’s not a huge deal, just a nit-picky aspect of the story.

My Profoundly Climactic Conclusion
A good issue…nothing to write home about, but good; the art is what I got excited about, with the story being secondary.  I just might stick Bagley in the top ten artists list for 2010.

Ratings
Writing: 5
Themes: 6
Art: 10
Overall: 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment