Monday, May 31, 2010

Comic Book Review: Gotham City Sirens #12

Book Information
Written by Tony Bedard
Penciled by Peter Nguyen
Colored by Tony Avina
Inked by Jack Purcell
Lettered by Steve Wands
Cover by Guillem March

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
It’s fun to see DC make a good author transition.  Tony Bedard, currently writing for Green Lantern Corps, gives shape to this latest issue of the Gotham City Sirens that is honorable and dignified in Paul Dini’s absence.  This new arc shows Catwoman breaking into a catholic church, searching for files on her missing, formerly nunerized sister Maggie.  We soon discover that Maggie has gone through some maddening spiritual reformation, causing her to believe that cats are demon’s which have taken over her sister’s body. (And I’m sure Tim Burton would second that motion right?)  The only way to save Selina, in Maggie’s mind, is to kill her.

I never picked up Catwoman’s Blackest Night tie-in, so I’m lost on as to what happen with Catwoman’s sister and why she was laying, bruised and beaten on the footsteps of a city house.  But I do know that WHAT I’ve read thus far is interesting and twisted, just the way I like.  It did go a little over the top, especially when Maggie takes the fire poker and bashes it over the exorcists cat, but I guess when it comes to religious fanatics, this is how they would react to demon’s and demon possession right?  But even more interesting, Catwoman now has a new enemy which is 1) her sister, and 2) who has a religious hatred for felines.  If DC decides to utilize Maggie in this capacity for future stories, this could become very interesting in the life of Catwoman.

Nguyen, whose artistic style doesn’t touch Guillem March’s, was able to deliver some pretty powerful images that blend into the story quite well.  The scenes at the exorcist’s house were demonic and terrifying and really made my blood curdle with anticipation.  And boy Maggie’s new “Demon-Nun” outfit was creepy, reminding me of the Phantasm’s outfit.

I was a little disappointed in the minimal usage of Harley, but that’s a minor concern that has very little bearing on the quality of the story.  I just find that Harley’s potential as a character has not been acted out like it should have been by now. 

My Profoundly Climactic Conclusion
Bedard was a good choice to fill in as writer until Dini returns next month, as was Nguyen.  However, I’m sure fans are anxiously waiting the return of both Mr. Dini and Mr. March next month.

Ratings
Writing: 7
Themes: 9
Art: 8
Overall: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment