Sunday, October 3, 2010

Comic Book Review: Green Arrow #4

Literary & Artistic Credits
Writer: J.T. Krul
Penciller: Diogenes Neves
Inker: Vicente Cifuentes
Colorist: Ulises Arreola
Letterer: Rob Leigh
Cover Art: Mauro Cascioli

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
I think I’ve figured out why this new Green Arrow run feels like it’s lacking so much.  Ollie has always been a wise cracker and funny man while still being more than the mere comedic relief; always kicking some major ass, and doing it with a smile.  J.T. Krul, while being a fantastic writer, seems to have forgotten what made Ollie such a great character.  Issue #1 to #4 has been very consistent in making Ollie very lifeless and bent set on maintaining his solitude without giving it real purpose.

Now it doesn’t help that He’s also including the out of place Brightest Day tie-in involving the Manhunter and his crazy, out of control metamorphic condition.  I don’t blame Krul though as I’m sure DC is requiring him to write this into the story.  But even so, this whole Robin Hood motif being generated in the story isn’t truly being executed like it should.  The concept is great, but the choices being made to bring this title’s beginning to a good start is not where it needs to be.

The pain and torment plaguing Ollie from the destructive events from Star City is thankfully still being utilized, but the supporting cast of characters seems to be more intrusive in the story than helpful.  Galahad’s depth of character only extends as far as my arm can reach, and even that is a stretch.  He seems to be a quite odd and unnecessary addition to the story.  I understand there is still the mystery of why he is around, but Krul hasn’t given me any reason to care about it.  Likewise, the new owner of Queen Industries has a very one-dimensional aura to her which makes her even less appealing than Galahad.

The excitement in reading this issue was so far gone that I was even more disappointed to see the art be an even more inconsistent aspect of the book.  It’s not terrible, but it does feel like Neves got lazy, or Arreola did.  Either way, the art didn’t keep my attention.  In no way does it compare to this title’s first issue, where Neves truly showed his artistic potential.  I found that certain panels were brilliant, while others felt like my 10 year old self had drawn them.  All in all, I’m sadly unimpressed by what Neves brought to this issue.

My Majestically Climactic Conclusion
For lack of a more distinguished phrase, this issue was boring.  There is no real substance and Green Arrow himself seems to be going through an unnecessary change in character.  The only reason I’m sticking with this title further is my confidence in J.T. Krul as a writer.  He’s proven himself again and again and I’m hoping that once this arc is over, the title will begin to show some real potential.

Rating: 3 out of 10
Writing: 2
Art: 4
Themes: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment