Friday, July 9, 2010

Comic Book Review: Brightest Day #5


Book Information
Written by Geoff Johns, Peter Tomasi
Penciled by Ivan Reis, Ardian Syaf, Joe Prado
Colored by Peter Steigerwald
Inked by Vicente Cifuentes
Lettered by Rob Clark Jr
Cover by David Finch

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
I was wondering when Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi were going to catapult this series into the more interesting aspects of Brightest Day. While the majority of the series has been, for the most part, fun to read, it has been carrying around a weight that makes the story drag, never really giving us that literary boost needed to stay interested. Nothing incredibly earth shattering is revealed in issue #5, but the underlying potential in each storyline should not be discarded.

The revelation of Hawkworld was a strange yet interesting addition to the story. Having never truly followed Hawkman or Hawkgirl in my more youthful days, I haven’t a clue as to whether or not this was a consistent aspect in their storylines. But from the shock and awe that come from the two Birds of Prey, (Sorry Gail Simone, I couldn’t resist) I can only assume that this is a brand new idea created by Mr. Johns and/or Mr. Tomasi. I’m still trying to decide if I like it, and if this will be a good or bad thing for the overall story. And I highly doubt that Hawkgirl is dead.

I was confused to discover that Mera’s purpose is to kill Aquaman. “I was sent here to kill you,” as she states so dramatically. When was she sent “here” and by whom? I can presume that the “sending” was done or has something to do with the band of aquatic desperadoes, but how long has this task of Mera’s been in place? Did something happen during Blackest Night or has this been Mera’s task since before I even discovered comics? The fight scenes are quite epic and well done, Thanks to the artistic talents of Ivan Reis, but I’m not sure I fully understand where the writing duo is going with this last minute twist. But I guess that will be explained in two weeks huh? (C’mon Jimmy, don’t get ahead of yourself.)

I’m beginning to wonder if this series’ is going to have an ending just like that of the hit show, “Lost.” It’s becoming so complicated and compact with plot and storyline that the potential of a bad ending is ENORMOUS! Each character’s part in this story is so separated from everyone else that the connection is almost nonexistent within the context of Brightest Day. Each hero has their own objective that somehow is connected to Blackest Night, but each seems to be straying so far off that any ending Johns is looking for will need to start making sense REAL soon.

Ivan Reis can do no wrong. I love his close up scenes so much, but he is equally talented in bringing out the distance shots just as much. I couldn’t be happier with Mr. Finch’s cover art; if only it could be in 3D right? But the versatility Reis and company display in this issue is top notch. We are given dark scenes, bright scenes, fiery scenes, and watery scenes, all of which display a wide range of color and definition that keep the emotional impact strong and appropriate for the mood.

My Profoundly Climactic Conclusion
The art is amazing, the story is fun but leaves you wondering about the future of the DC Universe.

Ratings
Writing: 8
Themes: 6
Art: 10
Overall: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment