Sunday, July 25, 2010

Comic Book Review: Time Masters: Vanishing Point #1

Book Information

Written by Dan Jurgens
Art by Jurgens & Norm Rapmund
Lettered by Travis Lanham
Cover by Jurgens & Rapmund

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
I was skeptical about picking this issue up for a number of reasons, and all I think most would agree with.

First, it’s called “Time Masters: Vanishing Point.” I know comics have the reputation of being slightly corny, but in this modern comic writing society, the corniness is a lesser aspect and doesn’t overshadow the literary quality comics have achieved. Stop giving me Sci-Fi Channel quality titles and give me one that will make me ecstatic!

Secondly, it ties into the whole return of Bruce Wayne saga. I don’t know about you, but I’m really getting annoyed with how much DC is tying almost all of their titles into Bruce Wayne’s return from time.

Thirdly, and this is only speculation, it seemed that this title would have a lot of trouble standing on its own. When titles such as Adventure Comics, Secret Six, The Web, etc come out with that older “classic comic” feel to them and can make a name for themselves without relying on other stories within the DCU to get started, it feels fresh and new. This issue is simply going off of things which we already know and is more of an excuse to put Batman into another title.

The only new thing we learn in this issue is that Booster Gold holds some importance to the future of DC. Having him and his entire team from the future back in comics was fun to say the least, but I couldn’t help but wonder if Jurgens under used these characters in what could have been a very interesting reunion.

I understand why Superman and Green Lantern are apart of the Batman search and rescue team, but this feels more of a cheap shot than anything else. As much as I hate Booster, he actually does provide some insightful advice as to respecting the time stream and not changing anything as it could affect the future. It’s obvious that both Supes and GL don’t fully understand the implications of NOT helping those in need while in the past. Booster and Rip Hunter do however. I would think this title would have been better served if Superman and Green Lantern weren’t included and been kept secluded to Rip Hunter, Booster, Supernova, and Goldstar who all have experience dealing with time. This would have given Time Masters a better edge and shown that DC doesn’t need to rely on their big name heroes to boost sales.

Rip Hunter has a lot potential and could very well succeed in his own title. If this title does anything, I hope it gives Rip a chance to star in adventure comics and possibly take it over. But the surprisingly below average storyline (very uncharacteristic of Mr. Jurgens) doesn’t provide Rip with a real opportunity to display his potential.

Now, onto the dialogue. Goldstar; she is a hottie and friggin amazing. But Jurgens really killed it for me with the exceptionally contrived bit of verbiage…

Goldstar: SUPERNOVA?
Supernova: Looks like I got here just in time. I used the Phantom Zone projector built into this suit to transport the grenade where it could do no harm.
Goldstar: Thank God you came when you did.Shoot me now!

All that was missing from this scene was Superman saving a cat caught in a tree. This kind of dialogue permeated within every page of this book and made me want to puke. Please, no more Dan Jurgens, NO MORE!

All this aside, I must say the art does give me that much needed quality boost that the story is severely lacking. It reminded me of my middle and high schools days when Jurgens was in charge of the art. He was what kept me sane during the dreaded “trial of Superman” arc that almost made me drop Superman altogether. The art isn’t spectacular, but it is very appealing to look at.

My Profoundly Climactic Conclusion
So; bad writing, bad character involvement, bad thematic tie-in…Good art. I feel bad because I love Jurgens, but this issue left me little hope that the rest of this arc will serve any more purpose than the World of New Krypton series did.

Ratings
Writing: 4
Themes: 3
Art: 8
Overall: 5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment