Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Comic Book Review: Supergirl #53


Book Information
Written by Sterling Gates
Art by Jamal Igle
Inked by Jon Sibal
Colored by Nei Ruffino
Lettered by Jared K. Fletcher
Cover by Igle & David Baron

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
You know, just a few days ago I had a few friends make fun of me because I read Supergirl. They had even more trouble coping with the fact that it’s one of the titles I anticipate the most month by month, which caused them to throw out a few more attempts at belittling my masculinity because I read what they consider a “Girl’s” comic. (Of course they were later that evening getting with a band of friends to see Eclipse, but whose judging right?) I don’t know what it is, but something about having a Super “girl” out there fighting bad guys and super powered crazies where she’s constantly putting herself on the line just doesn’t seem to measure up to a “man” doing the equivalent. Oh well, Sterling Gates definitely shows that Supergirl is Woman enough for me.

Kara (or Linda I should say) is going through another phase in her life (darn teenagers) where she again questions the identity bestowed upon her vs. her actual heritage. With both of her parents dead and her entire planet destroyed, she wonders if now is the time to start anew; throwing her past behind her and taking her place as a female living on Earth like everyone else; NOT as a Super human alien fighting for truth, justice and the American way. She’s ready to be normal, but Lana wonders if Kara (damnit all…LINDA!) throwing away her cape, and red “S,” shield is the best course of action.

Gates poses a great question, what if someone does have great power but chooses not to use it? Could Uncle Ben have been wrong when stating that great responsibility comes along with having incredible power? Kara has decided to stop being a superhero, is she wrong for doing so? Lana sure does a great job at throwing a guilt trip on the female formerly known as Supergirl. But this is a dilemma we face everyday isn’t it? “You should be a basketball player” or “You should pursue a career in dentistry” or many other phrases that people constantly throw at someone whose dreams and ambitions do not cooperate with what the rest of the world thinks that that person should do with the rest of their lives.

The cover (as amazing as it is) doesn’t speak to the characterization within the pages of issue #53; we see Supergirl aggressively jolting towards us, flaunting the red “S” for all to see, but within is a conflicted Supergirl who has decided throw away her childhood and become someone different. This arc will most definitely be about choosing between what you want and what the people need. And we will most assuredly see if Supergirl decides to remain as Linda Lang or continue on as the “Girl of Steel.”

Jamal Igle is growing on me! I was really amazed at how vibrant and lively his art was in this issue. Bizarro Girl popping out at us was incredible and scary! Igle is really giving us some freaky stuff here with Bizarro Girl and the twisty, turny experiments Dr. Light was putting on Superwoman. Nicely done Igle, you deserve a medal!

My Profoundly Climactic Conclusion
I’ll keep my comments about this Bizarro Girl to myself until I see where Gates is taking this. I have my doubts about it, but Gates rocks, so I’ll wait.

Ratings
Writing: 10
Themes: 10
Art: 10
Overall: 10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment