Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Comic Book Review: Batman and Robin #3

Written by: Grant Morrison
Art by: Frank Quietly

Plot: The Circus of Strange is brought down and Professor Pyg is stopped.  Batman and Robin's first real battle together shows Gotham that they are here to save the city and protect it from the evil's of the world.  Yet, something doesn't seem quite right.  There is a third player in this scheme.  And who that might be definitely comes as a shock.

My Thoughts: I have to be honest, this third issue wasn't fantastic as far as the story is concerned.  The first two issues of this run were great, but #3 just didn't measure up.  I wouldn't say it was a bad issue, just not truly as satisfying of a finale as I was hoping for.  I wasn't exactly sure what happened and the reasons for why they happened.  Professor Pyg's actions seemed very random and out of place.  Now that could be because I don't know the back story behind Proffesor Pyg that well and it may be a sign that I need to be patient to find out more.

Now what is interesting is how Morrison has basically switched the roles of the dynamic duo.  When Bruce Wayne was around, it was Batman as the conflicted, dark one and Robin the more light hearted one.  Now we have the two taking up different roles.  Robin now is the dark one and Batman now has the more light hearted role of the two.  It's an interesting and creative take on the Dynamic Duo.

I still am not convinced about Damian Wayne as Robin.  I feel he is too much of a brat and needs to grow up before taking on this role as Robin.  Until he does grow up, I just wont be able to accept him as Robin.

Quietly does it again with absolutely fantastic art work.  The first page of the book is worth it all.  I can't understand why no one seems to apriciate Quietly's work.  He brings out so much emotion in his art that you can't help but love it!  Sure he's no Ed Benes or Jim Lee, but he definitely has his own style and creativity that surpasses most artists in the field.

Overall, decent.  I was confused by the ending, but that's morrison for you.  If it wasn't for the art work, I don't think I would give this issue such high marks.  But my distaste for Morrison in the past doesn't help how I view this issue either.

3.5 stars out of 5

Next Issue
Batman and Robin #4
Meet the Red Hood and his sidekick Scarlet, Gotham City's vicious new "protectors," in the start of a new arc! This dangerous duo is out to destroy the very reputation and legacy of the Batman by replacing it altogether. Writer Grant Morrison (FINAL CRISIS) teams with hot new artist Philip Tan (GREEN LANTERN) to bring you what's sure to be the new Batman and Robin's biggest challenge yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment