Monday, August 24, 2009

Comic Book Review: Power Girl #4

Space Girls Gone Wild, Part 1
Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin gray
Art by Amanda Conner

Plot: Power Girl and Terra go for a night on the town and decide a horror flick is the best choice for their girls night out. However it is interrupted when randomly monsters start parading around Manhattan causing nothing but destruction. Power Girl, always on top of things helps Terra fight crime in nothing but her under shirt and underwear and must stop a new villain who calls herself "Zoraida," whose sole purpose is to put an end to man's abuse of the world.

My Thoughts: I don't care what anyone says, this issue was fantastic! corny...yes, silly...yes, but 100% fun and full of energy. I'm glad to see Palmiotti and Gray making an attempt at giving Power Girl a social life. That's the one thing she has always missed. While Superman has Lois, Batman has his enterprise and playboy lifestyle, Power Girl always seemed to be in her costume when and where ever she was. This issue brings reveals her social life.The opening pages made it all worth it. The boys coming down the steps during the film attempting to hit on Power Girl was the funniest exchange of dialog I've ever read in comics.

I do have one major gripe...how much longer are we going to make jokes about Power Girl's boobs? Every issue has made light of her sexy and seductive side so much and I wonder how far this is going to continue in this title. Don't get me wrong, I think the sexual jokes are funny, and I understand that her costume makes one think she's making a statement like "Look at my boobs! They are huge! Make comments about them! Look at them! Stare at them! Please, keep all your attention on them!" In fact, Power girl constantly complains about men always looking at her boobs, which reminds me of the high school girls walking around town or working out that wear the shorts with words on them like "love" or "respect" or "Jesus" right on their backside. But so many of the female hero's whose bodies are just as curvy, whose boobs are just as big, and whose costumes are just as revealing, and the sexual jokes hardly come out. I only hope that more focus will be put on the stories rather than the boobs.

Not only that, Terra, Power Girl's buddy, seems to forget that the superheroing business is a 24 hour deal and needs to have her outfit handy at all times. Well, since she's new to the business, she find herself fighting crime in nothing but her underwear. This again does not help bring the focus off the sex and more on the story.

Overall, a great book. Fun and entertaining to read. Too over "sexified," but still great fun. Go look at the preview pages on the DC Comics Website to get a glimpse of this issue. Igive this comic a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Next month
Power Girl #5,
"Space Girls Gone Wild!" part 2 of 3! As the trio of sexy alien marauders continue their rampage across Earth, Power Girl tries to figure out how to stop 'em! But with aliens this gorgeous, readers won't ever want them to leave!
(taken from dccomics.com)

3 comments:

  1. I agree that this series has been great. Although I think that the sexy jokes are part of Power Girl. She's ultra-tough but super-feminine. Conner's art is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that, I just don't want it to over power the story lines. My wife saw me reading it and said "Power Girl is all about sexy." And even though I dont agree, i can see it going down that path. I just hope it doesn;t.

    And yes, Conner's art is stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If their strip in Wednesday Comics is anything to go by I'm regretting not checking this series out. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete