Thursday, August 6, 2009

Comic Book Review: Justice Society Of America #29

Written By: Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges
Art By: Jesus Merino


Plot: Two new members are introduced into the JSA mold, All-American Kid and King Chimera, and they couldn’t have joined at a worse time.

Obsidian has formed into a black, egg shaped ball and seems to be weakening by the second. As Mr. Terrific volunteers to run tests on the obsidian egg, The JSA is rushed away to a hostage situation. When they arrive on the scene, they find they run into an ambush consisting of some of their deadliest foes. The JSA didn’t have a chance and the only heroes left standing are Liberty Belle and Flash Jay Garrick.

Back at the JSA headquarters, Mr. Terrific, while working on the Obsidian egg, is stabbed in the back by the newly recruited (and very hypnotized) All-American Kid. The last page shows Mr. Terrific lying on the ground bleeding.

My Thoughts: A very enjoyable issue. I’m not sure what I think of these two new recruits, but I’m sure they will need to grow on me. King Chimera seems interesting, although I hate his name. The writers wanted us to think that it was Chimera was controlling All American Kid, but it doesn’t take a genius to know there’s more to this than meets the eye.

What really boggles my mind is why every villain seemed to be avoiding Liberty Belle. Why is she so important, what was worrying the villains or surprising them about her?

I would echo many reviewers out there saying this issue is not ground breaking or even a great issue, but it is a lot of fun with the start of a great mystery. I’m looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.


3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment