Saturday, November 28, 2009

Comic Book Review: Blackest Night #5 (of 8)


Written by Geoff Johns
Art and cover by Ivan Reis and Oclair Albert
Variant cover by Rodolfo Migliari
Sketch variant cover by Ivan Reis and Oclair Albert

Plot
In an act of retaliation, seven members of the individual corps team up to take on at full force the Black Lantern Corps, their leader Nekron, and the Black Lantern central power battery.  Hal Jordan leads his team to the heart of all that is evil finding that this plan of action isn’t going to be easy as previously thought.

Meanwhile, DC’s two speedsters, Barry Allen and Wally West bring in the super hero brigade to assist in the battle against the Blackest Night.

As the story unfolds, we discover a very important truth that has been a constant throughout this entire story arc…expect the unexpected!

My Thoughts – Spoiler Alert
All I can say is, “I TOLD YOU SO!”  Everything that happened within this issue I predicted!  I’m very proud of this fact and will proclaim it to the world!  When those black rings attached themselves to Superman, Wonder Woman, Conner Kent and Green Arrow, I knew instantly that they were going to die and become Black Lanterns themselves.  However, even with knowing this, once it happened, my eyes popped open and my mouth dropped to the floor!  I guess I didn’t brace for it.

Now, I would ask my faithful readers, doesn’t this really get your heart pumping?  For me, this brings back of how these latest editions to the Black Lantern Corps died so long ago.  The one death that hits my flash back button most vigorously is Superman’s.  And now, because of something beyond his control, he must now suffer as an agent of death, along with the rest of our well-known DC favorites.  And of course the bigger question is (that I’m sure fans all over are wondering as well) what will happen to Hal Jordan and Barry Allen seeing as how the book ends with single black rings flying at them, ready to forcefully induct them into the corps of the dead.

Bruce Wayne rising was something I saw from the start, as I’m sure everyone else did as well.  But the question in my mind is how important is he to the story and what role he will play.  I found it strange that Nekron commanded Bruce Wayne to rise, and after he (Wayne) disgustingly spewed out the Black rings which found their way to the DC favorites, Nekron commanded Bruce to go “back to rest.”  Why?  Why is Nekron keeping his other zombie heroes around, but not Bruce Wayne?  Is there some danger in keeping the risen Wayne around?  And why was it Wayne that needed to be the one distributing the rings to his old friends?  Geoff Johns is definitely keeping his readers on their toes!

The art, like always, is great!  Nekron honestly scared the shit out of me every time they closed in on his skull like face.  This book will appeal to the “apocalyptic” crowd seeing as how there are countless battles with disintegrating and burning bodies.  And of course the risen body of Batman was a terrifying sight to see with the lighting and rain illuminating the Wayne corpse.  Ivan Reis will definitely go down as one of the best artist this year.

Overall
A flawless issue.  Everything was unexpected, the dialog was perfect, the story did not drag, and the ending left you wanting more! I’m tempted to put issue #5 in my top ten list for 2009….but I’ll have to think about that one. 

5 out of 5 stars



Next Issue Coming December 30
The secrets of Nekron are revealed as darkness consumes the DC Universe. Everything else: TOP SECRET.

On sale December 30, 2009 only at comic shops participating in DC's "Green Christmas" program. Non-participating comic shops will offer the issue for sale beginning January 6, 2010. Check with your local comic shop for applicable on sale date.

No comments:

Post a Comment