Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Comic Book Review: Brightest Day #2


Book Information
Written by Geoff Johns, Peter Tomasi
Penciled by Scott Clark, Joe Prado
Colored by Aspen MLT
Inked by David Beaty
Lettered by Rob Clark Jr.
Cover by David Finch, Scott Williams


My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
Thank you Geoff Johns, Peter Tomasi, David Finch and Scott Clark for letting me know exactly who the focal point of this issue is.  I can only imagine what new realizations Aquaman will have about his unexplained connection with dead sea creatures.  Just look at that cover, it screams a mighty echo to its readers; it calls out to their notion of intrigue and excitement with the mystery revolving around Aquaman!  Oh what a joyful time, to know that DC has thought ahead so well that they know exactly how to make their loyal fans want more!  DC is a master at making covers that truly define the essence of a story and how it relates to the coming events. Let’s turn to the first page and find out what our King of the sea has to discover.

Let’s see, oh hears the first page…


















Oh well, it’s just the start. Let’s see, hhmmm, oh yes here we go…

















No, that wasn’t what I was looking for, hold on let’s keep looking, maybe here?
















Damn, maybe if I continue on

















Ok, what the hell?  Where is the story involving Aquaman as the cover suggests?  Oh, here we go.

Wait…that’s it?

Yes indeed.  DC Comics brings us one of the best forms of false advertising.  All you have to do is stick a popular hero on the front cover of a highly anticipated comic that will excite readers about the story so much that they won’t be able to contain themselves!  The next step (and this is the best part) is to put that hero in only one panel of the book and call it good!  DC makes no mistakes right?

Ok, on a serious note, I do find it a little annoying when comics print a cover that has nothing to do with what’s inside.  The story focuses all of its energy on pushing forward with Martian Manhunter’s story (which seems to do very little in helping this issue’s over arching theme) and a mysteriously rampaging, murderous wife.  I understand the necessity of toggling back and forth to each character’s story, but I see no central focus.  Brightest Day seems to have taken a huge step backward into more of a bloody horror story than an intelligently written thriller comic like it started out as.  Is this what Johns is going for?  I’m not sure I approve.  I’ll keep following this series but I certainly hope we don’t get anymore Brightest Day’s like this one.

I love the art as a whole but would love to have Ivan Reis do everything.  The last two page spread of this issue is nothing short of spectacular.  As idiotic as I find having the Anti-Monitor back so soon, and in this story, I must say that is an impressive piece of work.  It only goes to show you that even a poorly written comic can still have its good points.

My Profoundly Climactic Conclusion
Maybe I’m being harsh and allowing my pre-conceived notions about Brightest Day to dictate my reaction to #2, but I’m having trouble accepting this issue as a satisfactory addition to the series.  Johns and Tomasi have set such an amazing precedent with Blackest Night that to have something like this really detracts from the story.  Everything was scrambled, unfocused and too concerned with bringing in that damned Anti-Monitor.  Ugh!

Ratings
Writing: 2
Themes: 1
Art: 9
Overall: 4 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment