Sunday, May 16, 2010

Comic Book Review: Wonder Woman #43

Book Information
Written by Gail Simone
Penciled by Nicola Scott
Colored by Brad Anderson
Inked by Doug Hazelwood
Lettered by Travis Lanham
Cover by Nicola Scott

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
Gail Simone is my hero.  I think I have established that much in this last year.  The work she has produced on Wonder Woman has been excellent and has changed the popularity of the Amazon now and forever.  But I fear the time spent on Secret Six and the new Birds of Prey title is seriously showing in this final story arc by the author of Wonder Woman.

The story continues from last month as Wonder Woman is reunited with a long lost relative, her aunt Astarte, who seems to have adopted a lifestyle not reflective of Amazonian culture.  But not even her big guns and militaristic alien armory can hold down Wonder Woman.  Astarte is beaten, but Wonder Woman appeals to her sensible nature and allows Astarte a chance for redemption by offering her an ultimatum.  It is very honorable of her, but who knows if it was the right decision.

#43 definitely presents a better story in comparison of last month’s issue.  I like the unexpected moments of realization and how Wonder Woman deals with the fact that her aunt, whom she had never met or heard of before, randomly shows up in her space ship ready to take over Earth.  Wonder Woman simply rises from the crater and accepts this fact, whether it be true or not, but still maintains her assertive manner in protecting the defenseless.  But even better, Simone calls upon the classic Wonder Woman trademarks as she takes out the entire alien fleet with her deadly spinning tiara.  I guess even the most popular, more serious and dramatic heroes need that moment of hilarity right?  I agree sir!

The problems I have with #43 involve random insertions of Achilles, and a huge robotic snake falling from the Auntie Astarte’s space ship.  One thing Simone is a master at is creating over the top storylines involving monsters and Greek mythological archetypes, and making it all work.  However, the snake’s screen time lasts only a few moments when Achilles rides in from the heavens on his faithful elephant steed and slices the snake in two.  What good did it do to send in the giant serpent only to have Achilles save the day moments later?  I found it to be very random and out of place with the story Simone had established last month.  But then again, there were no unnecessary Corps members lingering around either, so maybe I should count my blessings.

Artistically, Nicola Scott maintains her usual “awesomeness” that she brings in all her artistic endeavors.  The cover itself speaks to how good the art will be.  However, I’m not sure I understand how Wonder Woman’s with an exploding waist relates to the story within.

My Profoundly Climactic Conclusion
There are problems, but nothing like last month.  Will Simone be able to deliver with her final Wonder Woman comic book?  I hope so!

Ratings
Writing: 7
Themes: 8
Art: 9
Overall: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment