Friday, November 12, 2010

Comic Book Review: T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #1

Literary & Artistic Credits
Writer: Nick Spencer
Penciller: CAFU, Bit
Colorist: Santiago Arcas
Letterer: Steve Wands
Cover Art: Frank Quietly

My Awe-Inspiring Opinion
T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents, a comic book title that had its beginnings before my time, and had a very short lived run indeed.  Which is understandable since the superheroes will eventually die as a result of having super powers.  (Say what?!?)  The government has developed a special operations team called T.H.U.N.D.E.R., specifically designed to combat terrorist threats of supernatural proportions.  (Or at least they WILL) Individuals are asked to risk their life for their country by being scientifically given powers that will kill them in, or around, one year.  How can you build a monthly title off of this you ask?  That’s certainly what I would like to know.

But even with this premise, I was still very excited to pick up this first issue as it was another silver age revival by DC.  Its fun to get to know the comic’s era my mother grew apart of.  I opened up the book, finished it, and thought to myself,

“man, I think I’m reading the Secret Six.” 

And then it hit me, bad guys are being hired to take on the evil hire ups as a way of forgiving their criminal past.  This seems to becoming a common thread with DC!  That WOULD worry me except there’s one minor difference…the powers kill the heroes.  Where’s the selling point?  Why would a prisoner want to take on the role of a government super soldier when the pay off is death?  I guess there lies the intrigued for me, the fact that they actually do have people willing to take part in a pre-ordained death sentence in order to save lives.  Writer Nick Spencer will have a very challenging task ahead of him in the months to come.

This first issue doesn’t lay out the basics right away.  Only towards the middle of the issue are we given a hint of what’s to come.  Our main characters don’t really make their appearance until the last few pages.  Spencer provides a good deal of set up in order to go right into next month’s issue.  There’s still a lot of excitement, but the mystery pans through the bulk of the issue.  And for people like me, who have no idea what the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents is all about, it’s a very refreshing read that gives off an incredible amount of anticipation for what will happen to the team, and the future of this run.

CAFU and Bit (I keep seeing these names pop up.  Who the heck names their kids CAFU, in all caps, and Bit?)  take the artistic duties and really deliver.  I’ve had trouble getting into both artists’ styles, but this issue was nothing less than fun and enjoyable to gander at.  But the best visual piece of candy that comes with this comic is Frank Quietly’s cover.  But we can always count on Frank to give us quality right?

My Majestically Climactic Conclusion
This first issue isn’t a typical first issue that wants to hook readers right away.  Rather, it compels anyone picking up this book to come along for the ride and begs for patience as the title goes through the motions of an unorthodox way of telling an old comic book story.  Give it time guys, you might enjoy your investment.

Rating: 9.33 out of 10
Writing: 9
Art: 10
Themes: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment