Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Comic Book Review: Action Comics #886

Book Information
Written by Greg Rucka & Eric Trautmann
Art by Pere Perez

Plot
Discover the mythological secrets of Krypton’s past as Chris learns of the origin of Krypton and the importance of his connection with Flamebird.  Krypton’s religious history is visualized for us in the most intriguing ways and brings to light some new realizations about Krypton and it’s relevance in the DC Universe.  Then, of course, Rucka makes some connections with the past and present that shockingly make sense.

My Thoughts
I actually disobeyed my number one rule and went around the internet looking at what others thought of this issue.  The general consensus?  Most thought it was boring, filled with unnecessary storyline.  Some readers weren’t fans of discovering that Jax-Ur was the breaker we’ve been wondering about this whole time, while some feel the art work is below the quality it needs to be.  It looks as if my review will be a complete 180 degree difference in comparison to everyone else because I loved every aspect of this issue!

Mythological stories appeal to me in such a way that is almost indescribable.  There’s something about the traditional and cultural stores of a culture that helps you to understand and relate to the people so much more.  Learning the Mythos of Krypton brought me closer to the heart of a planet long since departed.  This is why Star Wars and Lord of the Rings is such a good story, it digs deep into the mythos of a society that most other stories do not.  We love learning about different cultures, even if we say we don’t.  This issue is my gold at the end of the rainbow; a sociological gem.

The mystery in this story does take me by surprise.  Early on we know Jax-Ur holds some importance to the story, but never did I think it would be like this.  Now Rucka has me wondering who else of Rao’s sons and daughters could be out there, ready to save the world, or to destroy it?  Rucka does a really great job at setting up some climactic conclusions for the legendary Kryptonian heroes.

I am unsure why everyone hates the art so much, especially during the telling of the Book of Rao.  The clever usage of light and darks was fascinating.  I was most intrigued by the dragon-like forms of Nightwing and Flamebird and how the flames engulfed Nightwing’s black body, but without illuminating it.  It was fun to look at and appreciate.

Overall
Best of the month thus far.  I will say this however, during the Book of Rao sequence the literature becomes quite lengthy and wordy.  For me personally, I love that it took me much longer than normal to read through a comic book; justified paying $4 for it.  But if you don’t like reading long issues, you may not enjoy Action Comics #886.

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars

Next Issue Coming March 10. 2010
In this corner – the already beaten, exhausted and bruised Nightwing and Flamebird! And in this corner – the reincarnation of the all-powerful Kryptonian sun god Rao! Place your bets! (Smart money's on the sun god.)
And in the co-feature, Captain Atom has to answer for his past sins by fighting the entire Justice League of America single-handedly!

No comments:

Post a Comment