Thursday, September 17, 2009

Comic Book Review: Action Comics #881

Written by Greg Rucka and Sterling Gates
Art by Pere Pérez

Plot: Supergirl and Flamebird find themselves duking it out and Nightwing is caught in the middle. The Science Police are after the three Kryptonians and we find out that Kara, even though she has done a lot of growing up since setting foot in the DC universe, shows she still has more to do.

My Thoughts: Well, I liked it, and I didn’t. I think the conflict between Kara and Thara is pretty darn great and a little ironic. Supergirl’s father died which was in some ways Thara’s fault, (however no one should blame her for it,) and the death of Lois’s sister was Supergirl’s fault. What I find very immature about Supergirl in this issue is the fact that she can’t see that. Lois is very upset at Supergirl for the death of her sister, and Kara doesn’t understand why Lois is mad. Yet here she is, throwing punches with Thara, blaming Thara for the death of her (Supergirl) father.

Now I’m confused by the title of this arc, didn’t they already have a hunt for Reactron? Yet they felt they needed to have another hunt and make it sound epic and as if it’s never happened before? Hhhmmmm? Just makes my right eyebrow raise upward.

Now did I miss something? When did Mon-El die? I just assumed he was taken prisoner by Reactron. It certainly came as a shock to me to read that Supergirl was being blamed for Mon-El’s death. I know James Robinson plans to have him in the Justice League, so I’m certain that this is all just a farce, and Mon-El will show his head again.

The art, has it’s moments, but it’s nothing to get excited about. Perez just didn’t do a whole lot for me this go round. However, the last page of this issue was pretty great, very detailed and fun.

Overall, this issue was satisfactory but had moments of dullness. However, I do like Flamebird and Nightwing. I think they should take over as the headliners in Actions Comics and allow Superman (when he returns permanently) to stay within his self-named title. Rucka is doing a great job at establishing them as a great pair of super hero’s and I think they should stick around after Superman returns and is loved by everyone again.

3 out of 5 Stars.

The Story Continues Next Week In Supergirl #45
Continuing from ACTION COMICS #881 – "The Hunt for Reactron" part 2! Can Supergirl rely on her seemingly unstable childhood friend to help her track down her father's assassin? Or will she ultimately get burned by Flamebird?

2 comments:

  1. Mon-El isn't dead - it's just that everyone (outside of those who set the trap for him)THINKS he died in that massive explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that's what I figured. Thanks for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete