Monday, September 7, 2009

Comic Book Stores Review: Gryphon Comics and Halley's Comics

So, I have been living in Fort Collins, Colorado for a month now and I have had the opportunity to check out the local comic book stores in this town. There are two stores that are specifically comic book stores. I have spent some time at both and have had good and bad experiences. Let me explain….


Gryphon’s Comics And Games

If you like flashy, over the top looking shopping places, then Gryphon Games and Comics is for you. I walked in there for the first time and my first thought was, “WOW! This place is amazing!” And I was sure that this would be the store I’d come to on a weekly basis. The layout is very nice and attractive. And I would say any comic book lover should check out this store just to get a feel for it and experience it.
However, I wasn’t impressed with their stocking decisions. The first day I went there, (On a Wednesday afternoon mind you) none of the titles I pick up were there. I made sure I was in the right section of the shelf, and sure enough, it said “New Releases.” I went to the counter and asked if my titles were out, because it’s possible I didn’t check the DC Comics website correctly for the week’s releases. The young woman at the counter looked at her files and replied “It looks like we are sold out of those specific titles.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I have never had that experience at any comic book store I’ve been to in my life. That should never happen, especially on the first day comics are released. I decided that it was a fluke and next week would be fine. So I came back the next week, and the same thing happened again! As well as the third week! I have deduced that Gryphon’s Comics does not keep enough on stock.
And to make matters worse, their back issue section is virtually non-existent. One thing I love doing when I go to a Comic Book store is scrounging through the back issues and see if anything sparks my interest.

Now it is very conducive to conversations, which I have failed to see much of, about comics and other related topics. It’s spacious and has a fun atmosphere. But for someone like me, who likes to roam around looking at everything, this store truly does not meet my standards and ranks low as a good comic book store.

1.5 out of 5 stars

Halley’s Comics

I did visit Halley’s comics and it’s much more satisfying of a visit. Sadly, I have no pictures of the place to post.  But there selection is huge and plentiful. And there back issue section is wonderful. They have some issues I hadn’t seen in a long time. Plus, their shrine to Alan Moore made me smile from ear to ear.

Now, one thing I do have an issue with is they do not split up the comics according to publishing company. DC, Marvel, Image, etc etc, they are all clumped together and alphabetized. This makes it hard to see and very easy to miss a title you may want.

Now, if you have allergies, more specifically towards cats, I would not recommend going here. They have their pet cat rummaging around the store rubbing up against customers. I personally have no problem with this. But someone who does not like animals, or who could die in the mere presence of a cat due to allergies, this is definitely not the place for you. The store is not necessarily a clean place, but not terribly dirty either. But seeing as how I just go in and grab my comics, looking around a bit, and head out, it’s perfect for me.

4 out of 5 stars

I’m hoping to check out the comic book store in Denver soon. I hear it’s supposed to be incredible.

2 comments:

  1. Looking at either of those pictures you'd never tell the place was supposed to be a comic shop! The bottom picture in particular looks like they're just about to go out of business... where's the comics and posters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well the second photo only shows the font desk. the place does actually have comics and look nice inside. But yu are right, there are no psters anywhere.

    ReplyDelete