Friday, September 4, 2009

Comic Book Review: Batman #690

Written by Judd Winick
Art by Mark Bagley


Plot: Penguin keeps Batman busy by hiring some of the toughest criminals in Arkham, which includes Clay Face and Lyle Blanco. However, Penguin is taken by surprise when a mysterious player enters into the field and takes over Penguins plans for domination. In the meantime, Two-Face takes matters into his own hands to discover who this man behind the cowl truly is.

My Thoughts: This issue was actually better than the others that Winick put out the last few months. However, I feel this issue is still lacking in substance. The bulk of this issue is passable and unnecessary for the mystery Winick set in place a few months ago. We’ve discovered who the mysterious attacker was, which is incredibly lame and stupid. I like how Two-Face does want to find out who Batman really is now, but going into the Batman cave dressed as Batman doesn’t add to the plot at all.

The art is fine. Bagley is good at bringing emotion to the pages, but I’m not entirely sold on his artwork. Granted, his is probably better than most of the other artists out there, but his particular style doesn’t get me excited about the story.

Overall, a very below average comic. I actually would prefer Grant Morrison back on this title than Winick. At least Morrison’s stories got exciting at some point whereas Winick can’t write a griping story enough to make me want to keep reading. Now I did keep reading only because I love comics and enjoy collecting them. (I’m such a fool!)

2 out of 5 stars
Next Issue
BATMAN double-ships this month as Two-Face and the new Batman throw down in the Batcave. And the fight is a vicious one, but just as Two-Face begins to get the upper hand...Batman shows up? The final chapter of Dick Grayson's first adventure as Batman is a can't-miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment