Sunday, January 17, 2010

2010 Golden Globes: Does Avatar Deserve A Golden Globe?


It's a shame I don't get cable where I can watch the Golden Globes at the comfort of my own home.  However, I am keeping the website up to help keep track of the awards as they come out.  And while it's fun to see Up!, Inglorious Bastards and other great films get some awesome awards, I can't get away from the best picture nominations.

As I'm sure you all know, the nominated films are as follows...


1. Avatar
2. The Hurt Locker
3. Inglorious Bastards
4. Precious
5. Up in the Air

Having not seen two of these films nominated films, The Hurt Locker & Inglorious Bastards, I can't really speak for them.  However, the other three nominations I have had the pleasure of seeing.  While Precious and Up in the Air are completely deserving of this highly acclaimed award, Avatar truly disappoints me in making the nominations.  A film such as Avatar truly does redefine the art of movie making as far as the special effects are concerned, but to put in the category one of the best films of 2009, I tilt my head in wonder.


There are many things that make a good movie, effects, music, editing, scenery, art direction, script, direction, acting, and so on and so forth.  However, the script and story are what make the movie what it is.  Precious and Up in the Air are truly great films in the fact that they create truly original story lines in an innovative way.  Along with top notch acting performances, those two film are very "human" stories written in an intelligent way.  In my opinion, the two said films are both very deserving of best picture.

Avatar, on the other hand, finds a new way of being one of the most unoriginal films I've ever seen when it comes to the story.  Every single event that takes place in the film is predictable and contains no originality.  Along with it's blatant racist undertones when dealing with American Indians and English colonists, the film's script and story are equal to that of Fern Gully, Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Pocahontas, Aladdin, and other like stories.   If it hadn't of been for the films amazing special effects, it would have been another cheesy Disney "feel-good" movie, not worthy of Best Picture Award.


As I await the results of Best Picture, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the more deserving films beat out the average Avatar.  My top 5 best films (In no specific order) of 2009 would be these...


1. Up In The Air
2. Precious
3. Up!
4. Nine
5. Coraline

Of course keep in mind I haven't seen EVERY film that's come out last, including the two nominees Inglorious Bastards and The Hurt Locker.  But Expect they could replace a few films that I have in my five, as well as the Road.  Their are so many good films out there, and Avatar, a second rate story line makes the nominations.  I certainly hope America grows up a little and figures out that Avatar, while being a visual masterpiece, is nothing compared to truly amazing films.

No comments:

Post a Comment