Thursday, January 14, 2010

Comic News: Birds of Prey Relaunches with Simone and Benes at the Helm...


Gail Simone and Ed Benes will be returning to the famed "Birds of Prey" title with an all new relaunching.  Simone redefined what it means to be a female in comics and still keeps that thread going.  No writer in history has ever brought women in comics to life as much as Simone has, and now she's going in full force with the return of the ground breaking title.

I had never read the previous run of Birds of Prey but I heard rave reviews about it.  I'm happy to see it's coming back so I can get a taste of what Simone brought to the table a few years back.  However, it sounds like Simone is going to take an all new approach with the woman super team,

"Even if you've read every previous BoP issue multiple times, I think you're going to really feel the ground shift a little with this. It's going to be a blast," Simone tells Comics Alliance. "It's Black Canary putting her boot in bad guys' faces and the Huntress taking no *&^% from anyone and Oracle being smarter than anyone else in Gotham. That's what I loved about the book in the first place.  It's classic Birds of Prey but maybe just a little tougher and a little naughtier. I've been given some really surprising approvals and I think long-time readers and newbies will find it quite unlike any other comic on the stands. I've always said the secret of the book is that it's a female buddy cop story, basically, and that is a surprisingly rare thing in all media."

The relaunching will come to comic book stores this Spring with the returning cast, and possibly some new additions.  Whatever happens, I know that with Simone and Benes running the show, this will a quality run.  I'm not sure I can wait until Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment