Friday, October 16, 2009

Comic Book Review: Superman #692



Written by James Robinson
Art by Fernando Dagnino and Raúl Fernandez
Cover by CAFU

Plot: Tragedy strikes in Metropolis!  Mon-El is perceived dead, Superman has no human allies any longer, and villains are running loose with the Guardian as Metropolis’ only line of defense.  We are left seeing Mon-El, in a tank of water with cables lodged into his neck and body, with a very unpleasant look on his face,

My Thoughts: Why is this book called Superman?  It was bad enough without the actual Superman IN the pages of his own book, but now Mon-El is nowhere to be seen except the first and last pages.  The Guardian, however, is plastered all over this issue fighting crime and partying with his special police units.  Maybe the fact that the title “Superman” has no sign of the ACTUAL Superman anywhere is dictating how I view the story of this book and I allow myself to forget to enjoy the story within.  But it does seem a bit too distracting for me.

I am slowly becoming a fan of Mirabai.  I hope to see Mirabi, after the “world against Superman” and “New Krypton” arcs, more and more.  I can’t actually decide if she’s a good guy or bad guy.  She seemed uneasy about dealing with General Lane, but seems menacing and evil in this issue.  I can’t wait to hear more of her story.

Speaking of awesome characters, The Guardian is definitely NOT included in the awesome characters roster.  Yeah he’s got cool abilities, but lacks a quality (or more) that allows me to relate and grow on me effectively.  Maybe he just reminds me too much of Booster Gold (who I think is one of the dumbest mainline superheroes in DC right now) with his pretty boy look and golden blonde hair and bright color armor which is causes my dislike for Guardian.  Or maybe it’s just this issue makes him out to be so much of a pretty boy that he seems ugly and dumb. I don’t know!   But I do know that I don’t like him and it makes me sad I subscribed to the Superman title and all I’m getting is bad stories and stupid characters.

The art really doesn’t impress me that much either.  It’s not bad, but I would have appreciated a little less of the “cartoony” feel to it and more of a serious tone.  Some of the action scenes are fantastic, but overall it wasn’t really that great.

Overall: Below average.  The story is too weak, the characters honestly suck, (with the exception of Mirabi) and the artwork didn’t enhance the issue either.

2 out of 5 stars


This Month: Superman #693
It's a special issue set entirely within General Lane's Project 7734 headquarters! Learn more about the mysterious Mirabai, Codename: Assassin and Atlas, and witness Lane ply information out of his latest…acquisition. All this plus revelations about Lex Luthor and Brainiac!

No comments:

Post a Comment