Saturday, March 27, 2010

Comic Book Review: Batman and Robin #10

Book Information
Written by Grant Morrison
Art by Andy Clarke

Plot
Dick Grayson begins to follow the trail which will hopefully reveal the whereabouts of Bruce Wayne.  But while Dick continually looks for clues, Damian Wayne has a mission to fulfill which involved him and a sword, sneaking up behind the unsuspecting Dick Grayson.  Why would Damian try to kill the one man who could bring back his father?  Dirty work may be afoot.

My Thoughts
I feel like I was playing the Batman version of clue, and I picked Damien Wayne, in the armory, with the sword.  As much as the cover completely gives away where this issue is going, overall it was a lot fun and exciting to read.

It was nice to have more mature looking artwork thanks to the efforts of Andy Clarke.  While he isn’t the best artist to come around, he certainly created the much needed visual that Batman & Robin has been lacking since Frank Quietly left a few months ago.  During the “family history” segment if this book, I was in awe of how detailed the candle lit hallways were and how little work is needed to create the full affect of a dark, gothic-like atmosphere.  I’ve never read R.E.B.E.L.S., but I know I was always impressed with the covers by Andy Clarke, which makes me believe this was a good artistic choice on DC’s part.

Morrison delivers a fine script, filled with angst, suspense and mystery.  With the exception of the first three issues of this title, this might very well be the best issue that Morrison has written for Batman & Robin.  As annoyed as I am with Damian Wayne, Morrison is certainly doing a great job at bringing out the conflicted and emotional personality of the newest red, yellow and green avenger.  I enjoyed the little segment learning about the Wayne family tree and the twist that came along with it.  Are these portraits actually of Bruce Wayne as a way of helping Dick find him?  As much as I hate the whole “Bruce Wayne caught in time” ordeal, I do like the approach Morrison is taking in this mystery.

I appreciated Morrison addressing the seriously confusing take from last issue where Dick Grayson some how knew Bruce Wayne to still be alive based on finding his clone. 

How can we be sure?  That is the question isn’t it?  There is no real evidence pointing to the fact that Bruce Wayne is still alive, yet Dick Grayson seems to be utterly convinced by this.  Why?  I don’t know, but at least Morrison realizes his faulty plot device and is at least trying to make up for it.

As the Return of Bruce Wayne draws ever so closer, I find myself excited and disappointed; disappointed because Bruce Wayne will most definitely be returning, which means he may readopt the Cape and Cowl, but excited because it looks as if the duo of Damian Wayne and Dick Grayson is coming to a close!  The story is set up showing Damian attempting to fill his father’s shoes as boss of Wayne Enterprises and attempting to murder Dick Grayson.  Based on the reaction Damian has when he discovers his mind has been manipulated by his mother, he runs away not sure what to think.  I have a feeling Damian is going to discover he can’t handle the superhero life style and give out up, or become one of Grayson’s arch nemeses.  I won’t care either way; I just want Damian out of the picture!

Overall
A very good issue.  It contains a few little frustrations due to the over arching story, (the return of Bruce Wayne) but the mystery is pretty darn good.

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars

Next Issue Coming April 7, 2010
“Batman vs. Robin" part 2 of 3! The Dynamic Duo fight it out in the ultimate duel to the finish. Meanwhile, Robin's mother, Talia al Ghul, sends an old adversary of Dick Grayson's to complete the job that her son may not be able to stomach!

No comments:

Post a Comment