Thursday, March 18, 2010

Comic Book Review: Batman & Robin #9

Book Information
Written by Grant Morrison
Art by Cameron Stewart

Plot
Last month we were left with the terrifying image of Bruce Wayne (or so it would seem) ready to attack Damian Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth.  What has Dick Grayson unleashed into the world?  Is this in fact Bruce Wayne who is still suffering from the madness that comes along with being immersed into a Lazarus pit, or is it something else? 

Also, after only a few months of keeping Gotham City safe, is this the end for Batwoman as we know it?

My Thoughts
To be completely honest, there isn’t anything wrong with this issue in and of itself.  The parts of this book I do have problems with have nothing to do with the quality of the plotline and story.  The comic flows very well and produces some very interesting moments that gives a lot of potential to future storylines.  The problems I see in within the art and concept of the plot.

I’m absolutely, 100% NOT a fan of Cameron Stewart’s style of drawing, at least not in the comic book genre.  I can see his work doing quite well on Saturday morning cartoons or as a part of DC Kids, but for such a serious and dark comic, the art comes off as silly.  Of course, Tony Avina’s coloring techniques don’t assist the poor art quality either.  There are moments of brilliance however, in the way the orange light glows from the Lazarus pit while Batman gently drops Batwoman in the brightly colored pool.  It’s quite gorgeous and intricate, but that’s all that merits praise when it comes to Stewart’s art.

Speaking of Batwoman, I’m beginning to regret not picking up Detective Comics while she dominated the title.  With the cameos she made in the titles I’m reading, I’ve really enjoyed her presence.  She has a confidence that equals Wonder Woman and the attitude which reminds me of Power Girl.  Her addition into this story arc was very well handled and clever on Morrison’s part.

I see the necessity of having a Batman doppelganger, but having an insane Caped Crusader didn’t sit to well with me, at least not in the way Morrison portrayed it.  It seemed more of an excuse to let Grayson beat the crap out of a Bruce Wayne clone as a way of filling up pages.  Thankfully, the sequence did not last very long, however, the fight between the Batmen did produce one of the greatest moments in comic book history…

I hate Damien Wayne so this made my day.  I was so incredibly happy until Grayson had to ruin my happiness by swooping in to save the day. 

One thing I can’t understand is how Grayson figured out Bruce Wayne isn’t dead?  How was this doppelganger a hint that he is still alive?  Dick concluded that the doppelganger wasn’t Bruce, therefore he knows that that Bruce Wayne is still alive?  What?!?!  If someone can explain how this makes sense, please enlighten me!  DC, if you want to bring Bruce Wayne back so bad (which I think is a terrible idea to begin with) at least have Morrison make a comprehensible reasoning for it.

Overall
For the most part this issue was fun, but with all of the flaws, this comic really didn’t do me justice.  I hope Cameron Stewart gets off this title sooner rather than later.

Rating: 6 out of out of 10 stars

Next Issue Came March 10, 2010
Art sensation Andy Clarke (R.E.B.E.L.S., BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL) joins writer Grant Morrison for an exciting three-issue arc titled "Batman vs. Robin"! Why would Talia al Ghul manipulate her son Damian into taking action against Batman? Will Damian do as Mother says…or stay loyal to Dick Grayson? Plus, more on the Domino Killer, Oberon Sexton, and the menace of El Penitente's drug cartel! Is this already the end for the new Dynamic Duo?

No comments:

Post a Comment